I attended the Live Online Professional Development seminar providing an overview to our county's new Math Frameworks on November 2nd. Last summer, I was employed by the GaDOE as part of the development team for the K-5 Math Frameworks being implemented in our county this school year. I was hoping the Elluminate session on our District Collaboration Day would be engaging and a positive overview of the Frameworks answering the many questions posed by our teachers. The implementation has been challenging.
I have attended numerous Elluminate sessions in the last six months, sessions sponsored by both the district and the state. They are usually used to address curriculum issues and/or for administrative training in school safety and response-to-intervention protocol. I did not gain any new information from the Elluminate session on the Frameworks. There were a lot of technical glitches (sound problems, problems viewing the ppt slides within the Elluminate frames). The consensus from our teachers was that it was not a very engaging medium. It would have been more engaging to see a live person rather than hearing a live voice reading a ppt.
In subsequent Elluminate trainings I have attended recently, I still have a hard time feeling engaged with the medium. Especially during a training session vs. a more collaborative experience. I think Elluminate is more engaging in more collaborative discussions; however, nothing beats the budgetary savings!
No comments:
Post a Comment