Compare the various aspects of your Personal Learning Network - Blog reading, podcasts, twitter - what is your experience with each thus far? Are there differences in the types or quality of material between the different tools? If so, what do you think accounts for those differences? How are you integrating them into your daily/weekly routines? What has surprised you most to date? Are you finding that you are getting "to know" the people you are listening/reading/following? If so, how has that influenced your view of them and what they have to offer?
I just completed presenting at and attending my county's Digital Schoolhouse conference. It was extremely exciting to see the various ways in which people are integrating technology, including the technologies we are using in our PLN, into their teaching and personal learning. I am getting the greatest benefit out of listening to podcasts and reading people's blogs. An unintended consequence of using blog reading as a part of my PLN has been to connect with parents of teenagers with needs similar to my son's. I think the most surprising thing has been that in my isolation, I can find support and strength in people I don't even know. While maintaining my privacy, I have found validation of my family's struggle and have found myself more accepting of his diagnosis.
I am still on the fence about twitter; however, I will tell you a positive twitter moment from last week: My husband uses twitter professionally, and through his own twitter PLN, found out about a contest to win an American Music Awards party. He was one of the first few hundred to tweet for it and won a party package for 10 teenagers! :) My daughter is thrilled. I may be a convert, yet!
No comments:
Post a Comment